Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Bon Apetit!

I still don't have much of an appetite what with being sick and all, so last night we had fend-for-yourself dinner night. The only thing that sounded good to me was an English muffin with lots of butter, yummmmm, butter. I came upstairs to make myself dinner and found that Hubby was creating a yummy sandwich in the toaster oven. He had sliced a bakery roll in two, and then heaped one half with melted cheese, and then the other half with ham. It smelled really good, and I was almost ready to ditch my English muffin and ask Hubby for a bite of his sandwich when I noticed something.

Hubby had sliced a hot dog long-ways into three sections and laid it on top of the ham. So he had a ham, cheese, and hot dog sandwich.

I asked him why he ruined what could have been a really yummy sandwich with hot dog. He said "It's good!" I told him he was crazy, but even I didn't expect what came next.

"You know what would be good on this?" he asked me. I didn't really have an answer for him, because, really, what does one add to a ham, hot dog and cheese sandwich? But that was okay, because Hubby already had something else in mind.

"Olives!" he exclaimed gleefully, and went downstairs to the cellar to get a can.

This is the same guy who made steak goronzola and chocolate mousse for Valentine's Day. He has now made himself a ham, cheese, hot dog and olive sandwich.

How do you come up with that combination? When you're looking in the fridge and you see the hot dogs lying next to the ham lunch meat, do you just think "Oh, ham and hot dogs, I haven't had that for awhile?" Because I never would have thought to combine the two, even if it was the only food we had available in the house. To me, hot dog is a stand alone...meat (yeah, we'll just call them meat). You put ketchup on them, maybe mustard and relish, but ham? And then top the whole thing with olives? Huh?

4 comments:

Jillian said...

LOL... yeah, that's kinda, NOT good. Although it sounds like something my husband would eat.

Colleen said...

What a combination! I most definitely will not be trying that one! I'll just stick with the traditional PB&J.

Mrs. R said...

Jillian--what is it with guys? Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Hubby's Dad put beans in spaghetti sauce once, just because he was making spaghetti sauce and he happened to notice he had a can of beans, so I guess the thought process was hey, why not?

Colleen--I have no idea how he came up with that. I'm still shaking my head.

Queen Goob said...

That's okay.....I moved to the South and one of the school cafeteria menu items was "Flying Saucers". I thought, “Hey, my kids love eating things with fun names.” (will save for another time) but then I found out what flying saucers were.

Fried bologna with a scoop of mashed potatoes and topped with melted cheese.

Oh wait!!!! Now that I think about it, the head cook at that cafeteria was a man!